Since its the middle of the summer, I’ve pretty much maxed out on salads for lunch and dinner. This roasted sweet potato with chickpeas is an easy and delicious way to change up your normal lunch/dinner routine. What I love about this recipe is the simplicity – I usually have most of these ingredients on hand already!
- 2 sweet potatoes/yams
- 2tbs of olive oil
- sea salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 can of chickpeas
- feta or goat cheese (use as much or as little as you like)
- fresh cilantro (optional – but I found this really added an unexpected burst of flavor)
Here’s what you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut your sweet potatoes in half – sweet potatoes are super hard to cut, so be careful and patient!
- Brush the sides, including the skin, with your olive oil.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set your sweet potatoes cut side down on the baking sheet.
- When the oven is ready, roast your sweet potatoes 45 – 55 minutes depending on how big your sweet potatoes are. You’ll know they are done when they are moderately soft all the way around.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, flip them over and use a fork to make divots into the non-skin side of the sweet potato. This will allow your toppings to sit more easily.
- Put the chickpeas and feta on top of your sweet potatoes and place back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- When done, use salt and pepper to season, drizzle with some more olive oil, and top with the cilantro if you’d like.
Storing over night for lunch the next day: I individually saran wrapped each roasted sweet potato and then placed them in a tupperware to store in the fridge. This will keep everything intact for you to pack a lunch in the morning.