I’ve fallen in love. Ever since I discovered the iced coffee with cashew milk at our local gym’s juice bar (Nourish Your Soul), I can’t stop thinking about it. At $5+ for 16oz, I ventured to make it myself. Not a fan of milk? Neither am I! I promise you – this is different.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups water (divided)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash sea salt
- Pinch cinnamon
1. Soak the cashews in water at least 4 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain and rinse until the water runs clear.
2. Add the cashews and two cups water to a blender. Start on a low setting and increase the speed until the cashews are totally pulverized. This could take 2+ minutes.
3. Blend in 2 cups more water, your sweetener of choice, vanilla extract, sea salt and cinnamon. If your blender can’t totally break down the cashews, strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer.
4. Store the milk in a covered container in the refrigerator. It should keep for 3 to 4 days.
- Yields about 5 cups cashew milk.
- For thicker cashew milk, use less water!
p.s. Cashew milk is full of redeeming nutrients, like magnesium, phosphorus, iron, potassium and zinc. The fat in cashews is mostly unsaturated and they are a good source of protein.