I feel like people are constantly talking about detoxing, cleansing, and “resetting” their body. There is definitely a time and place when that is necessary. However, you can also add foods into your diet that have detoxing capabilities so that you never have to go to the extreme if you don’t want to. Here are 9 foods that you can add to your diet (and find in any food store) to get the benefits of detoxing:
1. Lemon. This one is my favorite. Start your morning off with a glass of warm water and lemon. It helps alkalize your body and stimulate your liver. Plus, it is an amazingly comforting way to get your day off to a good start.
2. Cucumber. Cucumber has soluble fiber, which helps your body absorb nutrients in the intestine. It is also great for hair and skin – bonus! Add some to your lunch salad or throw some in your water throughout the day.
3. Celery. Celery has tons of water – so it flushes out your system. It also lowers body acidity and reduces inflammation. Pack as a quick snack to scoop up almond butter or hummus.
4. Dark leafy greens. The power plant! Dark leafy greens also help build blood cells, which helps increase energy levels to support a healthy detox. Add them to your morning smoothie or throw some in your salad.
5. Apples. Apples have a ton of fiber, which lowers cholesterol and scrubs out your intestine. Gross- but necessary. Pack one as a snack, add some almond butter, or chop up and enjoy in a salad!
6. Carrots. Carrots have beta carotene, which help to detox the liver. I personally cannot get enough carrots and hummus these days – such an easy go-to weekday snack.
7. Garlic. Garlic is antimicrobial, which basically acts as a natural antibiotic to support the immune system. Throw it in a salad dressing or pop it in the oven with some chicken and vegetables. Not only will it add a ton of flavor but it will help detox your bod along the way!
8. Avocado. Avocado’s healthy monounsaturated fats help balance blood sugar levels and keep cholesterol low. Plus – can we really ever get enough avocado? Throw it on toast for breakfast with an egg, in a salad for lunch or basically with anything for dinner. Is there anything avocado can’t do!?
9. Asparagus. These babies are a natural diuretic and amazing when you are feeling bloated. My fave way to eat these? Blanched and added to a salad!