We are one week down for Whole 30, and it has been a challenge. We don’t miss cheese and bagels as much as we thought we would, but it’s been a learning process. If nothing else, this challenge is teaching us to be more aware of the decisions we make regarding food and allowing us to carefully think about what we are putting in our bodies.
With one week down, and the last(?) weekend of 80 degree bikini-wearing weather approaching, here are 5 Whole30 approved foods for flat abs:
1. Apples. Apples are a great source of fiber and also help keep you full. Plus – ’tis the season for apple picking!
2. Dark leafy greens. Here is another amazing in-season option. Dark leafy greens such as kale are a some of the healthiest foods you can eat. They contain fiber which will help to keep you full and regular, and are full of nutrients. Add your greens to salads, stir fry and smoothies!
3. Salmon. Fatty fish such as salmon are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for your health. Salmon promotes fat burning and boosts metabolism. Grill, pan sear, or broil for a delish addition to salads or veggies.
4. Berries. I can’t get enough berries these days. Berries are full of fiber and antioxidants which is pretty key for keeping your abs flat. Add a handful to your smoothie or just have a few as a healthy afternoon snack.
5. Green tea. Green Tea is full of antioxidants which helps boost metabolism. AKA: perfect fat burning drink.
The end of summer has such a distinct feeling – the air smells a bit crisper, the ocean gets a bit sharper, and our morning workouts get infinitely darker (the worst!). Its easy to think about the end of summer as a sign of the impending doom of winter, but let’s get our minds out of the gutter and into positive “back to school” a.k.a back to reality mode. We may not be going back to school (tear), but we’ll be prepped to get a fresh and inspiring start to fall.
Say farewell to summer! Give it a long goodbye kiss because we’ve got a long way to go before its return. Cross off all the lingering items on your summer 2015 bucket list – go for one last swim, eat one last lobster roll, play one last game of Spike Ball. But, embrace the end and start to look forward to fall.
Clean your apartment/house. I’ve been running in, up, and around my apartment without stopping all summer, trailing in who knows what from the grimy city streets – do yourself a favor a clean your apartment head to toe. Buh bye sandy sheets!
Continue to spend time outside. Labor Day may be the unofficial end of summer, but there is still beautiful weather to be had into early and mid fall – its not time to hibernate yet. Keep getting that vitamin D while you can. This includes exercising outside – try taking a longer than usual run around the Charles for a workout with a view.
Edit your wardrobe. I tend to be super picky about what I add to my wardrobe during the change of the season because I prefer to have fewer, better quality options. Just because summer is over, doesn’t mean its time to splurge. Assess what you can continue to wear from summer into fall, know what you still have from last fall/winter, and start to do your research on what you might need to add to your wardrobe so you can catch these items on sale. This goes for makeup/beauty supplies too! No need to hold onto that nearly empty bottle of sunscreen or that shattered bronzer.
Set some personal goals + make plans. Pick something to work towards – maybe that’s getting to the gym 4 times a week or reading two books a month – set goals for yourself to keep you busy and always improving. That said, make some fun plans for the fall – schedule some Starbucks dates (hayy pumpkin spice lattes) with friends or buy tickets for a concert.
Now, go out and enjoy the rest of your summer!!
It’s Friday, and we’re feeling particularly crunchy – see what caught our eye online in this week’s The Crunch List.
(insert unrelated picture of Miles Teller because Friday <3)
1. So, do jerks make more money? You know you were thinking it… and here’s your answer.
2. The Sephora skincare section: we’ve all been there before, debating whether or not to splurge on that 24K gold face mask because it promises a luxurious, youthful looking complexion. Sure, rubbing 24K gold on your face might be nice for the story or for the Insta, but the beauty editors in this article tell us drugstore beauty products work just as well. Great, we’ll stick with our Cetaphil, thank you very much.
3. Legitimate concerns for those who live and die by their phones: #firstworldproblems.
4. The end of summer is the epitome of bittersweet – with an emphasis on bitter. I’ve got a serious case of the summer blues, but this article is helping pull me out of it. For even more motivation, check out the Quora feed that sparked the article in the first place.
Ciao for now!